IAAB’s International Conference on the Iranian Diaspora is an innovative forum for academics, journalists, artists, and community leaders to discuss the development, challenges, and needs of our global community.
The first and biggest program of its kind, presenters join IAAB from the Middle East, Europe, Australia, Asia and North America, bringing a truly global perspective to these important conversations.
IAAB's Conference will be held in Spring 2018. Details will be released soon.
Topics have included:
- Identity formation in the second generation
- Persian language acquisition in the second generation
- Media representation of Iran and its diaspora
- Writers of the Iranian diaspora
- Gender and sexuality
- Domestic violence in the diaspora
- Civil liberties violations post-9/11
Speakers have included:
- Ted Fellows: Taghi Amirani; Nassim Assefi; Negin Farsad
- Scholars: Hamid Naficy; Homa Sarshar; Nahid Mozaffari; Kamiar Alaei; Mehdi Bozorgmehr; Arlene Dallalfar; Mahboud Ansari; Ahmad Karimi-Hakkak; Zohreh Sullivan; Elham Gheytanchi; Ali Modarress; Ali Akbar Mahdi; Sima Shaksari; Nahal Naficy; Pardis Mahdavi; Alidad Mafinezam
- Artists: Taraneh Hemmami; Roxana Vilk; Asa; Haale; Maz Jobrani; Deep Dish; Abjeez; Leyla Pope; Ahmad Kiarostami; Houshie Mortezaei; Fared Shafinury; Shahin Najafi; Ayat Najafi
- Writers: Porochista Khakpour; Kamin Mohammadi; Sholeh Wolpe; Roya Hakakian; Persis Karim; Tara Bahrampour; Niloufar Talebi; Jasmin Darznik
These conferences have been held at:
- Wellesley College and Tufts University (2004)
- University of Maryland, College Park (2005)
- New York University (2007)
- University of California, Berkeley (2009)
- University of California, Los Angeles (2012)