International Conference on the Iranian Diaspora
IAAB’s International Conference on the Iranian Diaspora is an innovative forum for academics, journalists, artists, and community leaders to discuss the development, challenges, and needs of our global community.
The 2018 IAAB Conference will be held April 21-22, 2018 at New York University School of Law. IAAB will be holding the 2018 IAAB Conference in partnership with Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near Eastern Studies at New York University.
The first and biggest program of its kind, presenters join IAAB from the Middle East, Europe, Australia, Asia and North America, bringing a truly global perspective to these important conversations.
Thanks to our current legal challenge against the US Travel Ban, IAABvTrump, speakers from other countries whose proposals are accepted by IAAB are eligible to travel to the United States for the conference. It is our hope that the current legal battle over the Travel Ban does not dissuade community leaders, academics, artists, and other Iranians in diaspora from participating in the IAAB Conference. Our legal battle against the US Travel Ban is ongoing, therefore, we'll update our website if anything changes.
Read the 2018 Call for Presentations to learn how to apply.
Past Conference Topics have included:
- Identity formation in the second generation
- Persian language acquisition in the second generation
- Media representation of Iran and its diaspora
- Writers of the Iranian diaspora
- Gender and sexuality
- Domestic violence in the diaspora
- Civil liberties violations post-9/11
Speakers have included:
- Ted Fellows: Taghi Amirani; Nassim Assefi; Negin Farsad
- Scholars: Hamid Naficy; Homa Sarshar; Nahid Mozaffari; Kamiar Alaei; Mehdi Bozorgmehr; Arlene Dallalfar; Mahboud Ansari; Ahmad Karimi-Hakkak; Zohreh Sullivan; Elham Gheytanchi; Ali Modarress; Ali Akbar Mahdi; Sima Shaksari; Nahal Naficy; Pardis Mahdavi; Alidad Mafinezam
- Artists: Taraneh Hemmami; Roxana Vilk; Asa; Haale; Maz Jobrani; Deep Dish; Abjeez; Leyla Pope; Ahmad Kiarostami; Houshie Mortezaei; Fared Shafinury; Shahin Najafi; Ayat Najafi
- Writers: Porochista Khakpour; Kamin Mohammadi; Sholeh Wolpe; Roya Hakakian; Persis Karim; Tara Bahrampour; Niloufar Talebi; Jasmin Darznik
These conferences have been held at:
- University of California, Los Angeles (2012)
- University of California, Berkeley (2009)
- New York University (2007)
- University of Maryland, College Park (2005)
- Wellesley College and Tufts University (2004)
Please direct any inquiries regarding the Conference, including sponsorship and media requests, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2018 IAAB Conference is organized in partnership with Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near Eastern Studies at NYU.